garym wrote:
> but a FLAC, ALAC, WAV, etc file are all decoded to the same bits as they
> enter the DAC.  A diet coke and regular coke are NOT bit perfect (my
> chemistry colleagues can tell me how the makeup is NOT identical).  We
> may not typically be able to tell a difference, but if we can tell a
> difference there is at least a plausible reason (they are not in fact
> identical products as they enter our body).

Don't take the analogy too far. But yes, you're right, it's different.

Me for myself I am unable to hear a difference between FLAC and WAV. But
I can hear differences between HDMI and USB outputs with otherwise
identical variables. They are both bit perfect. I can't give you a
plausible reason.

The reason I was chiming in was that no matter what anyone tells about
differences in the digital domain, a handful of kamikaze pilots
immediately talks them down. The same who will tell you that it is not
possible to discern different modern DACs. Which - with all my respect -
is complete BS.