Archimago wrote:
> Another MUSINGS post...
>
> Most folks here will know about this already. Wanted to answer a
> question asked by a reader and put an opinion out there...
>
> http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2013/07/musings-is-cd-sound-quality-1644-pcm.html

Your thoughts and comments are pretty much spot on and basically reflect
my own feelings on the subject of cd quality versus high resolution.
What strikes me as really funny is that the audiophile world (as
represented by the various high end audio magazines) is now busy pushing
for DSD downloads when the availability of 16bit/44.1kHz CD quality
downloads is still very spotty. But then I think "follow the money" and
low and behold some possible reasons for this sad state of affairs
emerge. For example the price of high resolution PCM and DSD downloads
is obscenely high whereas the prices CD quality downloads (when one can
find them, such as on bandcamp.com) are much more reasonable. The cost
of differential supplying CD quality versus high resolution downloads is
marginal so the profit margin of high resolution PCM and DSD downloads
is really worthwhile, kind of like the high end cable market. The money
trail NEVER lies.

Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. &
sub
Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1
& Energy sub
Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos