Jez,
The DAC2 (a) uses digital volume control in DAC mode and (b) in this
mode it has 3.5db DSP headroom to cater for brick-walled recordings.

I can mimic the above by (a) using digital volume control in my Touch
and setting the HDR to 'calibrated mode', bypassing the volume pot for
the DAC, and (b) keeping digi volume at or lower than 93. For me, this
has improved the sound subjectively. (From everything I've been able to
research, it should improve the -performance- objectively, however for
audibility I have no evidence to offer you like a properly controlled
test.)

Having said all that, I am willing to do swapsies with a DAC2 any time
... just let me know, chuckle!
Darren

Check it, add to it! http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/richpub/listmania/byauthor/A3H57URKQB8AQO/ref=cm_pdp_content_listmania/203-7606506-5721503.