bhaagensen wrote:
> No takers? Anyone else tried the comparison with anything else? Should
> be interesting for many of us, eh?

I'm not in a country that can access wimp. But if they are truly
streaming FLAC files, why should there be any difference. Yes, there are
different masterings of albums done at different times, and some can be
better than others (this is unrelated to being FLAC). But assuming the
FLAC files are from the same CD source (same mastering), then why
wouldn't we expect the Sound quality to be identical?   Are you
wondering whether Wimp is applying some sort of odd "compression" to its
FLAC files?    I'm certainly willing to bet my paycheck that WIMP does
not get any record companies to provide special mastering only for WIMP
streaming.  That would be a very expensive proposition.

Anyhow, I can't test anything, but I'm curious as to why you think a
streamed FLAC is any different that a local FLAC (assuming they are from
the same mastered CD). The player doesn't know that the file arrived
over the internet vs arrived from your local server. Flac is Flac.

*Location 1:* VortexBox 4TB (2.2) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Location 2:* VBA 3TB (2.2) > LMS 7.7.2 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Office:* Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > SqueezePlay
*Spares:* VBA 4TB, SB3, Touch (3), Radio (3), CONTROLLER
*Controllers:* iPhone4S (iPeng), iPad2 (iPengHD & SqueezePad),
CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
Ripping (FLAC) - dbpoweramp, Tagging - mp3tag, Spotify