bhaagensen wrote:
> I'm pretty sure some of the WiMP flacs are different from my/the
> CD-version. As to how this could be, I think you gave a fairly good
> summary. Would be nice to have the opinions of others who could for
> example have another "pressing" of The Man in Black, if such exists. So
> I think you kind of gave the answer to you own question.

OK. That makes sense. And there are a number of "different" mastering
CDs floating around that can sound quite different. Not sure about "The
Man in Black" (although I'm a fan of Johnny Cash!).  But for example,
you could own one of the early (80s, or was it early 90s) Beatles CDs
but then hear a FLAC song on WIMP that comes from one of the Box
releases from a couple of years ago (and to be even more confusing, it
could be the MONO version or the Stereo version).  I have all these
Beatles CDs and, yes, the same song from the early CDs, or the newer
Stereo box, or newer Mono box, can all 3 sound completely different
(even though they are all FLAC files ripped from the CDs).  Or you could
be listening to the recently released (and remastered) Fleetwood Mac
"Then Play On" locally but WIMP could be playing the older (and "badly"
mastered) CD release of the same song.  But I suspect we're lucky enough
when streamers tell us the album, track name, artist, and album artwork
for a song they are streaming. Doubtful they would ever also add info on
which mastering the track comes from, etc. (although that would be great
of course).

(for a major, major difference in mastering, check out the original
release CDs of ZZ TOP, particularly first 3 albums which had been
remastered to give them god-awful 80s synth drum sounds. And then
compare any song on these first 3 zz top CDs from the CDs rereleased
this year (2013) that contain the ORIGINAL vinyl mixes of those albums.
Night and Day difference.

*Location 1:* VortexBox 4TB (2.2) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Location 2:* VBA 3TB (2.2) > LMS 7.7.2 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Office:* Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > SqueezePlay
*Spares:* VBA 4TB, SB3, Touch (3), Radio (3), CONTROLLER
*Controllers:* iPhone4S (iPeng), iPad2 (iPengHD & SqueezePad),
CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
Ripping (FLAC) - dbpoweramp, Tagging - mp3tag, Spotify