Archimago wrote:
> Mnyb: Indeed the iPhone 4 is "like tar" compared to the iPhone 6 with
> even simple web browsing!
>
> I wonder if there's a conspiracy :confused: to slow down the old phones
> so everyone upgrades! I certainly don't recall web browsing being so
> slow with my wife's old iPhone until the past year... I wondered if
> downgrading iOS to a lower version would help.
>
> -----
>
> Now as for audio. Indeed, I believe we have reached a point where
> inexpensive components is certainly plenty good for a walking-around
> mobile device. Here in October 2014 there's no way to avoid talking
> about the Pono scheduled to be trickling out soon when mentioning
> portable devices. I'd be very curious how the Pono performs objectively
> with all the hype surrounding it for the hardware "Toblerone".
> Young/Ayre has claimed that the bulky shape was needed for sonic quality
> with larger components inside...
>
> I see the Pono store is supposed to be updated today so it'll be
> interesting also to see what it has on offer. Already with the
> announcement of the software releases that will go with the signatured
> players, it looks like there's disappointment on that front with a
> number of predictable 16/44 bundled albums. (So far nothing tells me
> there's anything special here other than yet another store selling stuff
> we can already find on HDTracks, etc.)

Archimago when I made my statement about the high end audio world
getting all tongue tied when it comes to trying to explain why so many
(if not all) inexpensive DACs (and digital audio players) feature audio
quality that is so good as to be almost indistinguishable from that of
much more expensive DACs (and digital audio players) I was not only
referring to portable devices like the iPhone, iPad and iPod, but to
non-portable devices as well, such as the $300 Musical Fidelity V90-DAC.
One can easily see the verbal gymnastics the writers go through, both
John Atkinson and to a much lesser degree, Sam Tellig, in the full
review, which can found here:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/musical-fidelity-v90-dac-da-processor

It's all quite amusing as they try in vein to justify having to spend
mega-bucks (more than $5,000) to get performance that barely outpaces
that which can be had for mere fraction of the cost. Ah, it must be
those $500 USB cables that put the mega-buck DACs over the top.

Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. &
sub
Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1
& Energy sub
Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos