ralphpnj wrote:
> Nice work, Archimago!
>
> I do wish you had spent a little time tearing a hole in Dudley's straw
> man anti-double blind testing argument. He starts off with a bang by
> comparing dbts to side-by-side close inspections used to identify
> forgeries from originals in the art world. Kind of like comparing apples
> to giant squids but perhaps I'm being a bit too objective. His next
> distortion is his insistence that all dbts consist of 15 seconds of
> music being constantly switched back and forth. WTF? Is that one of the
> basic requirements of double blind tests because if so, then that rule
> is missing in my copy of "Robert's Rules of Double Blind Audio
> Testing".
>
> I've said it before, I'll say it again now and I'm sure I'll say it many
> more times: Digital audio has thrown the world of high end audio for a
> loop and so far they have not been able to recover. $300 DACs that test,
> measure and sound as good as $30,000 DACs and $5 USB cables that test,
> measure and sound as good as $500 USB cables - what is the world coming
> to?!?!? And more importantly - where are the advertising dollars going
> to come from?!?!?

Hey man. I'll leave that DBT issue to you. :-) One could go through each
sentence and write a paragraph!

Reading the article by Dudley, I was truly blown away by the immaturity
and ego. I wonder what got into him to decide to write this stuff for
the column. Did someone on an audio forum insult him or something?!
Maybe some advertiser needed to hire a "hit man" to put that stuff
out... Funny that Guttenberg creates this image of the old audiophile
clutching to "Dark Side" and "Aja" and I can imagine Art Dudley
personifying this grumpy old audiophile who's holding on to those old
LPs among ideas he apparently consolidated in his mind decades ago of
approximately the same vintage.

Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective'
audiophile blog.