Foo measurement ?! Of course you must asses product performance even if
they happen to perform beyond human capability of hearing ? And
measurmant functions as sanity checks, if for some reason design errors
would creep into the project .

Sadly voodoo thinking has permeated in the brains of many people that
actually design audio gear , so external measurements done by for
example reviewers are more needed than ever .

My favourite example of everything wrong in high end , Audio Note .
Produces incredible expensive cr*p with Design by "Ear" and very
confused cargo cult engineering ( tubes stages where not none linear
enough for them so they invented a passive I/V stage after the DAC to
"fix" that  ) so that you can pay 1000 of $$ for stuf that performs
worse than any Chinese DVD player you can pick up in the supermarket

So I would say today we can actually find DAC's that do sound different
but probably not for the right reasons :(

Sorry for engaging in the off topic discussion .

Was it not the merits of these two AKM chips we discussed ?

And I raised the piont of may not the actual implementation be of
importance ?

Further I do think the chip manufacturer has the implementation in mind
, the high performance alternative may require more and better external
components to give it's best . So at a given price piont a designer may
opt for another chip with less demanding implementation . And of course
if we have to deal with Foo designers there motives for picking
components is simply not rational .

Is shiit a foo design company ? The founders are veterans in high end
which makes me nervous ... Did not theta design some very bizarre DAC's
early on with some campy homegrown filter design that defied science (
and of course sounded different ). By casual reading I've found one
strange concept perpetrated by shiit . They for some reason choose to
not use Asynchronous sample rate converters ?
I've read the argument that these are "bad" but have yet to see a solid
argument for it ( with proof ) .

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
(spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )