jh901 wrote:
> If you can't hear an obvious, clear and convincing difference in a
> supposed upgrade, then no scientific testing is going change that.  My
> CD player, for example, sounds so different in my system than a
> Transporter that it's as if there are completely different speakers.  If
> I thought that I needed ABX just to be sure, then I'd have never bought
> it.

I believe you. But to ignore the possible influences of external factors
in your sighted evaluation, you also ignore decades of scientific
research demonstrating the strong effect of such external factors, even
in the context of trained, expert evaluators. Why not just do the tests?
I personally choose not to ignore those potential confounding factors.
Then again, in my job I have to deal with referees and editors at
scientific journals where my tests and methods are subject to intense
scrutiny so that's just the way my mind works.  (note that my own work
is entirely unrelated to audio or the engineering of audio devices so
I'm not claiming any expertise on these topics. But I do have experience
with the effect of heuristics and biases on decisions and judgments)

*Home:* VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio
(all ethernet)
*Cottage:* VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Office:* Win7(64) > LMS 7.9 > Squeezelite
*Spares:* Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
*Controllers:* iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng8 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or
SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
*Files:* ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes;
Streaming: Spotify