d6jg wrote:
> Budget is £350/$500 - I guess that's low end for most of you but ...,
> Ideally I want an S shaped tone arm with a removable headshell - I have
> half a dozen ADC head shells with cartridges that I like to swap
> around.
> I do not need USB etc.
> I have scoured the hi fi forums and the likes of Project & Rega keep
> appearing but they have fixed arms.
> Any recommendations here?

Curious what turntable were you using before to have gathered the shells
and cartridges???

I have absolutely no regrets with my used Technics SL-1200M3D (got for
about $350US last year locally):
http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2014/07/musings-vinyl-update-technics-sl-1200.html

I know many vinyl audiophiles poo-poo the whole direct drive thing but I
must say that 'it did pretty well with some needledrops'
(http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2014/12/result-archimagos-lp-needle-drop-blind.html)
I did compared to my friend's much more expensive Roksan setup + Whest
phono pre.

Speed stability just great despite >10 years old; this thing is a tank:
http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2014/08/measurements-technics-sl-1200-m3d-wow.html

Here's the Roksan TMS's numbers:
http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2014/11/measurements-roksan-tms-1-wow-flutter.html

The recently AnalogPlanet reviewed 'Onkyo CP-1050'
(http://www.analogplanet.com/content/onkyos-cp-1050-direct-drive-turntable-offers-extraordinary-speed-stability-attractive-retro#KIRTmJ0HeRfShpZl.97)
and 'Pioneer PL-30-K'
(http://www.analogplanet.com/content/pioneer-pl-30-k-automatic-single-play-turntable-0#DqRZkg5Zi9xdEqxR.97)
might be up your alley as well...

Good luck! Just make sure you have nice sounding cartridges :o.

Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective'
audiophile blog.