Archimago wrote:
> For my part, I try to get my kids involved every time I open up a device
> so it's not all literally that "magic" black box.

Yes, that is definitely a good thing to do. But... Back when I was a kid
(when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and communicated by morse code), there
were lots of old tube radios you could pick up for free, with wires,
tubes, lamps, coils, adjustable capacitors, wire-wound resistors - not
to mention ropes and pulleys. When I studied electronics, it was still
big boards with basic MSI/LSI chips. Now it is all a couple of
surface-mounted chips on a far-too-many-layers board, and all the magic
is somewhere in the firmware. Not much to see when you open one up... :(

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953