darrenyeats wrote:
> Clive, it's -30dB (volume 40) where it becomes bit imperfect with 16 bit
> data. And I regularly listen at less than this level. Also I have 24 bit
> recordings for which it's always bit imperfect.
>
> A usable range and being source-agnostic are reasonable things for which
> to ask. This is why the correct way to do digital volume control is with
> dither.
I wasn't trying to diss your efforts - just pointing out that for the
majority of typical users it's not really beneficial.
I think that your personal scenario (low level listening, lots of 24 bit
sources) is quite unusual.

Slightly off topic: if you are routinely doing critical listening at
levels below -30dB, could it be that your gain staging is out?
(I also sometimes put stuff on at very low levels in the background, but
can't say that I ever *listen* at such levels. When I want to really
enjoy my music, the volume on the Transporter is typically 80 or
higher).

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A