Dither is still the correct way to do volume control ...! Because I want
to play anything, over a usable volume range, without worrying about it.

But I have to add something else here. Though I accept you might live
within the limitations of the SB and Transporter volume controls, I'm
not sure this holds for the Touch ...!

I'm given to understand it's SqueezePlay that runs on the Touch, is this
true? From what I've seen of the Squeezeplay code, it uses a two part
scale where 0=-74db, 25=-38dB and 100=0db and volume steps divided
equally in dB in each scale. You can see the first part ramps rapidly.
This actually fits with my user experience with the Touch. From this
code, I have no confidence that the Touch is bit perfect at any volume
level or any bit depth.
Darren

Check it, add to it! http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

SB Touch