arnyk wrote:
> The standard that we finally ended up with is HDMI.  The audio signals
> are kept in the digital domain as close to the speakers as it can get,
> given that the speakers are passive and analog.  Being digital, it has
> better performance than any of the professional standards for analog.
> Equipment that interfaces with HDMI is generally easy to purchase and
> maintain.

And the next step is of course TCP/IP (just look at AES67) running over
pretty much any physical media you can imagine. We are starting to see
the first active speakers with a network interface - when that becomes
more common, the sound system stack as we know it is finally gone -
replaced by controllers (mostly tablets and phones), storage/streaming
somewhere on the network (on your premises or out in the "cloud"), and
speakers.

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953