rkrug wrote:
> Mnyb <Mnyb.7fxb2n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> writes:
>
> > Any DAC would suit an old amp basically , maybe you need passive
> > attenuators ( rothwell is brand I bougth for this purpose ).
>
> I am looking at them at the moment. And as the amplifier has two
> connectors for accessories between pre-amp and power-amp, I could put
> them between the pre-amp and the power amp.
If you're thinking of putting passive attenuation between the preamp and
power amp, an obvious thing to try would be to just bypass the preamp
completely. Connect the output of the Touch (or DAC) directly to the
power amp via the attenuators, and just use the Touch's digital volume
control. That way you're taking the preamp completely out of circuit,
with potential sonic benefits.

If you're planning to always go via the preamp, there's no point adding
passive attenuation - just use the preamp's volume control to set the
gain staging.

rkrug wrote:
> Now the question remains, which ones: -10 or -15?
Start off by turning the Touch's volume all the way down, and connect it
(or DAC) directly to the power amp without attenuators. Then play
something that you like to listen to loud. Slowly turn up the Touch's
volume until it's as loud as you'll ever want. The Touch's volume
setting will give you an idea of how much attenuation you need (ie. so
that when you add the attenuators, the Touch's volume would have to go
up to 100% to get as loud as you would ever want). I don't have a Touch
so I'm not sure how its volume settings map to dB values, but I'm sure
someone on here will be able to tell you.

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A