Any DAC would suit an old amp basically , maybe you need passive
attenuators ( rothwell is brand I bougth for this purpose ).

But check the specs ! Do you have a manual to the old amp ? Sometimes
max input levels are speced .

But in 99% of the time it works just fine IMHO .

RegardingDAC in speakers , I have them .

Traditional 19" components the box with its nice comsmetics knobs and
displays etc and power supply is almost all the cost !

Even a very good DAC chip cost "nothing" so you can sprinkle a fistful
of them on your hifi without problems .
Active filters are such a step change that IMHO almost any cheap DAC
chip after an active digital filter will always get you so much better
result than the best separate DAC in the world before a power amp and
passive filter.....

Let's se my speakers have 10 one channel DAC's between them and 1 in the
processor to my analog sub , so 11ch da conversion in use.
Then I have 5.1 , 6 unused analog out on my blueray player ( I use hdmi
) and 5 more ch lrflbrb on my processor if I want to use analog amps and
an extra zone 2 more channels. And 2 unused ch on my squeezebox and 2 on
the cable box and 2 on the TV
So in total I have 30 mono channels of DA conversion .
Now try to purchase 15 stereo DAC from a brand name in nice 19" boxes
and see what that would set you back .

So the traditional stack of boxes , you pay for boxes basically .

If someone wonder how a ht reciver can be so good for the money , it no
mystery mass manufacturing + a very efficient layout all processing is
digital including 7.1 volume control DSP sub xover etc then just 7 mono
amps TaDa :)

Btw yes I know that Meridian that I use may not be the best example of
active stuff in all cases because they are to expensive and quite fancy
? But in 2004 for example who else could offer an unbroken 5.1 24/96
digital signal chain straight to the amp before the speaker driver ? For
home users ?

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
(spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )