cdmackay wrote:
> I dunno. It sounds like you are saying: "there's a desire to sort things
> out, and create useful standards, and that's good. The result was MQA,
> which isn't good, but still, the intention was good". Is that what
> you're saying?
>
> I fear that the intention was nothing of the sort. I believe the
> intention was nothing more than an attempt to hood-wink people into
> spending money on something they don't need, to solve a problem that
> doesn't exist, using a mixture of pseudo-science, unscientific tests,
> and corrupt mass-media. I don't believe there was any good intention
> behind it.
>
> I would be happy if you were right, though.

Odds are....

MQA is a product of Meridian, who previously had a small but steady flow
of income from licensing MLP, which is the standard lossless data
compression algorithm for DVD-As.

The myth of the efficacy of > CD quality recording has kept Meridian
alive since MLP was introduced at the 9th regional AES conference in
1999. They've got a 17 year history of feeding from the so-called high
definition audio trough.