arnyk wrote:
> A lossless compression technique was desired because the DVD format
> lacked the data capacity required to put uncompressed hi rez
> multichannel PCM on a DVD disc.  The methodology chose by the DVD forum
> was called MLP and is the piece that  Meridian owned.

So I see, a pity the commercial world doesn't like open source. I
believe flac achieves better compression, no?

I understand blu ray, at least, does also support up to at least six
24/96k pcm audio streams (which would be about 13Mbit). I make that
about 4 hours of six channel high res audio per single sided blu ray, or
obviously 12 hours of two channel.. bring it on! No more pointless
multidisc sets.. (and obviously ridiculously long runtimes for 16/44.1
etc..)

I'm old fashioned, I like to buy a piece of media rather than a
too-easily accidentally deleted download but am slowly realising the
fact that I never actually play anything directly from media anyway..