arnyk wrote:
> Open source = no royalty payments.
>
> Who cares since we know that so-called high resolution audio has no
> audible benefits?
>
> I can't say that I'm against physical media, not with a personal library
> in excess of 1,000 discs.

On Open Source - many companies make nice profits with it. If you have
the credibility, services and consulting are eminently monetize-able.
Arguably, if Meridian made MQA open source there'd be less of a debate
about it, and more people would take it up wherever it happens to me
sense (a narrow focus if you ask me, but I posted that earlier). Because
there's cost involved, potential beneficiaries will still run a strict
cost-benefit analysis. And some of the benefits ma have nothing to do
with the sheer obsession with sound quality - it might be yet another
way to control distribution and the overall ecosystem.

On HD Audio having no audible benefits... quite a rational and
defensible argument. But peace of mind for archiving purposes as storage
cost drops down dramatically is also to be considered. I did make a
point to acquire HD all time favorites when special offers where
available. I don't like to struggle and concentrate on silly stuff when
I listen to music, hence I hate blind tests - let other people bother,
I'll take their word for it. I have some pretty resolving equipment, but
damn me if I *care* to hear a difference. Sometimes, on very familiar
and very well recorded favorites, I have thought I could hear
"something", hence where I have it I simply listen to the HD version and
know anything else is in my head. Done. That said, I think 24/192 is
total overkill in any end user's listening environment, and yet why not
for albums we totally treasure.

Yeah on physical media. I used to have several drawers full of CDs (over
3000) and now they're are stored out of sight. I'll never ever spin CDs
or vinyl again when it comes to my main system. Whatever media I get I
digitize on the spot, and scan the cover. To me convenience is a key
part of listening to music. Getting up to change media... I no longer
miss it, nor do I for a second think it sounds any better than the
digitized version....

...pablo
Server: Virtual Machine (on VMware Workstation 12) running Ubuntu 16.04
+ LMS 7.9
System: SB Touch --optical->- Benchmark DAC2HGC --AnalysisPlus Oval
Copper XLR->- NAD M22 Power Amp --AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval->- Totem
Element Fire
Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem
DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
Computer audio: workstation --USB->- audioengine D1 -> Grado
PS500e/Shure 1540