docbob wrote:
> Gracious acceptance of your own fallibility is not your strong suit on
> any forum, is it?

How would you know?

> I always respond with "oops, thanks for pointing that out", not a
> childish attack rant with the admission embedded deep within. FYI, there
> is no "oops" about my post 9, because you point out no errors, just
> amusingly, flailingly shadow box.

Really? You've missed any number of opportunities to do so lately as you
have had to be corrected on many points.

Besides, the minor math error does not change the important point. If I
record a good sized multitracked musical work 16/44 I end up with a
large, awkward, but still somewhat manageable set of files running about
11 GB.  Not bad to store as storage is cheap, but loading and saving
audio files this size is already time consuming. Of course most people
who advocate high sample rates have never actually had to struggle with
this sort of thing.

If I follow the well meaning but mistaken advice given by certain people
on this forum, and record at 24/192 I bloat the files for the same
musical work to about 60 GB, which is large enough that there is no
longer enough room for multiple generations of the files on any but the
largest storage units. Processing now takes six times longer, which can
run into large fractions of an hour, and yields no audible benefits. And
that is just for loading and saving files.