Like all music streamers, the resource requirements are smaller than the
smallest DIMM module you can buy, and the CPU requirements are smaller
than the slowest CPU you can buy.

It's got to be Linux based if it works on "any PC".

SSD is cheap and ubiquitous. There are issues, long term, with
reliability, and personally I would choose spinning rust for media files
(the entropy makes them bad candidates for compression, which most SSD
controllers attempt to do). That said, I wouldn't actually worry about
using an SSD for both at the same time, if that's all I had to hand and
I could afford one large enough for all my media.