I'm going to suggest some really silly things. I'm sure these are not
true in your case, but then again, I've seen very smart people struggle
with a problem only to find that it was caused by something very silly.
So forgive me in advance.

1. You mention RCA cables.  In my case, the digital input of my
Transporter for a S/PDIF digital cable us a BNC connector on the
Transporter side.  I have a source connected to the Digital Input with a
BNC connector on the Transporter side and an RCA plug on the other
source end. Can you get a S/PDIF cable with BNC on one side for
connecting to Transporter as a test?

2. You mention a light from the optical input, but did you connect an
optical cable to the Transporter from a CD player and try to play?

3. Silliest thing of all, for my Transporter Digital inputs, I have to
select in the menu which of the inputs it uses:  BNC, RCA, Optical and
balanced AES. You've selected the right one when trying to play?

*Home:* VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio
(all ethernet)
*Cottage:* VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Office:* Win8(64) > LMS 7.9 > Squeezelite
*Spares:* Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
*Controllers:* iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or
SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win8(64) laptop
*Files:* ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes;
Streaming: Spotify