I'm not sure I completely understand what constitutes "installing the
digital inputs plugin".
I have LMS loaded onto a laptop, which is connected wirelessly to the
Transporter.
On the laptop I accessed the LMS settings menu and verified that the
"digital inputs plugin" box was checked (it was).
If having the box checked in LMS constitutes having the digital plugin
installed, then it's installed.

Normally I stream music wirelessly from the laptop and control it with
an iPad app.  I had never tried playing from the digital inputs and
controlling with the remote until a few days ago when I discovered they
aren't working.

It's not clear to me how the digital inputs setting in LMS on the laptop
installs the plugin on the Transporter.

http://jazzman-esl-page.blogspot.com/