drmatt wrote:
> How does speech recognition ability in hearing damaged patients when
> using amplification translate to audio "quality" discernment in hifi
> terms?
>
> For the former I could draw the same conclusions about speech
> recognition ability when talking with a Glaswegian.
>
> How is this mechanism related to the concept of noting changes to tone
> of hifi equipment?
>
> Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Hi doc!

Not a medic myself, but I believe that some of the latest (=expensive,
need it buy it yourself... ) hearing aids have a pretty wide frequency
range if needed purely for amplification purposes. However there are
lots of different kinds of hearing impairment, so I would imagine the
precise nature of the actual hearing impairment would be critical in
determining the sufferer's ability to listen to music enjoyably.

As an extreme example, I would offer severe tinnitus which apparently
can be so bad that another person located next to the sufferer can hear
the ringing for themselves! It's hard to see how one could listen
-through- that level of interference, although vinyl fans will
appreciate that with practice it is possible to some extent to listen
through the low amplitude constant surface noise which has a regular
frequency profile, and that the inevitable pops & crackles are partly
"tuned out" by the mechanism that Arny has already explained by which
our hearing is designed to reduce the impact of high amplitude but short
duration sounds so that we can detect the quiet sounds that might
indicate the presence of a real threat to our continued existence. One
can only hope that Natural Selection continues to regard this trait as
valuable for the benefit of future generations - otherwise they may not
be able to appreciate solo piano music as we do if I have understood
Arny's point correctly.

So I should imagine that some hearing impairment sufferers can continue
to enjoy their music, whereas others would have to seek solace
elsewhere.

As regards Glaswegians, I may have been unlucky insofar as the ones that
I have actually encountered didn't seem to have much interesting
conversation about them once I'd deciphered the dialect, and moreover
seemed to exhibit a somewhat bellicose approach to life, especially when
mullered which seemed also to be a regular condition. I am not casting
aspersions at ALL Glaswegians since I haven't met them all & I wouldn't
want to generalise. However given the limited amount of time now at my
disposal, I am not actively seeking to meet any more of them. This is
obviously not politically correct of me, but then some people don't like
Brummies either...

Dave :)