Golden Earring wrote:
> Hi Arny!
> 2. Why do CD's, DVD's & Blu-Ray discs play from the inner available
> radius outwards
With certain niche consumer groups messing with the outer edge using
magic markers, lathes and whatnot it reduces the likelihood that they
would actually affect the output in any way if the CD is filled from
center and outwards. After all, most CDs aren't pushing the 74 min
limit.

On a slightly more serious note, a lot was made of the ruggedness of the
CD when it was introduced, and I suspect the outer edge is more likely
to suffer different problems, be it during production or through
careless handling by the consumer. Using the inner part first, a mildly
compromised disks will still function properly. I remember buying a
compilation CD that was filled to the edge, when played the last few
minutes was filled with drops and pops, and when I got it replaced it
was the same. On closer inspection there were minute cracks along the
outer edge. I wouldn't hazard a guess as to how these had developed, but
it must have happened during manufacturing or packing. Had total playing
time been five minutes shorter I'd never have noticed.