pippin wrote:
> MQA certification primarily means you pay a license fee and then you can
> use the label.

Yes agree , then we migth ask how inportant they think their own spec is
.

drmatt wrote:
> Indeed. Presumably "mqa certification" just means "thou shalt implement
> a bunch of filters like this; and switch to them according to the
> instructions sent". The idea being, presumably, that mqa certified music
> sources choose a suitable output filter according to the analogue->
> digital filtering types at the other end.
>
> Of course this is doomed to failure as there are probably tens of
> different ADCs used for any given commercial recording.
>
> <i>Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk</i>

Yes the Idea is probably a fail , but given that , wonder if the DAC's
and softwares certified follows spec rigidly.. is there wiggle room in
spec , as long as you paid for the sticker ?? Would be interesting to se
more test of such DAC's .

I've would not be surprised if they are different and further that some
of settings do produce small audible differences . Some filter settings
combined with some DAC and you hifi may produce undesired side effects
.

Due to sighted testing and the intellectual corruption gone several
rounds in the industry , some "voodoo designers" may actually manage to
bodge such a well understood thing as DAC and produce kit that do sound
different , but not for any good reason..
It would be healthy if the magazines that do measurements could point a
finger at clearly broken stuff instead of producing more smoke and
mirrors and FUD usually trying to explain away the strange performance
with some claims of unorthodox design principles and hidden unmeasurable
variables that must exist due the excellent result in sighted testing
;)

Happy to see Archimago do his measurements.

It would however help tremendously if MQA themselfs produced a test
signal suite and publish it officially so that anyone could test
compliance in MQA branded products .

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
(spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )