drmatt wrote:
> FWIW I don't doubt you can hear a difference between two DACs in a
> scenario like this. You may also actually have a faulty transporter (or
> power unit), which would colour the analogue output much more. A "DAC",
> to the consumer, is the combination of its immeasurably perfect digital
> components and its measurably imperfect analogue components, they cannot
> be taken separately.
>
> You are also talking about two bits of kit designed with different aims,
> fifteen or so years apart. The transporter punched extremely highly in
> its pursuit of neutrality and accuracy.
>
> Two other points - Mytek state that their analogue pre-amp volume
> control colours the sound that comes out of the device. I've noted this
> on my 192DSD as well. Comparing this with the digital volume control on
> the transporter (I don't have one so right now I'm assuming that's what
> it is) isn't the same.
>
> And finally I've found that systems from the so-called "neutral" end of
> the scale require you to listen in to find the details, they aren't
> presented so obviously. This does not mean they are less detailed just
> that the sound presents this differently. I have no logical explanation
> as to why. I assume it comes down to very small frequency response
> shifts, or small amounts of dynamic compression; after all "air and
> space" is most likely high frequency background noise, but have no
> experimental results to back these theories up. I don't have the time to
> care too much so I buy kit I like at prices I like without trying to
> think about it too much...
>
> And, as usual, it's worth saying all these systems are achieving way
> more fidelity than the *still* inexplicably popular Vinyl sound. People
> don't like accurate, they like a show to be put on.
>
> -Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk-

Hi Dr M!

Thank you for your considered reply to my pain-fuelled irascible
posting. I'm aware that you have your own detractors on this forum, so I
appreciate your willingness to comment.

I agree with much of what you say, but have a few observations,

Firstly, since I currently have 3 Transporters (1 "Slim Devices" model
which probably dates all the way back to 2005 & a couple of previously
unused SE's I imported from the States this year - 2012 manufacture? ) &
they *-all-* sound the same, I think I can rule out the possibility that
an internal fault is responsible for my experience.

Secondly, the effects of volume controls. As you surmise, the
Transporter does indeed have a volume control which operates exclusively
in the digital domain, with 0.5dB steps. The Mytek offers either digital
or analogue volume control in 1dB steps. My understanding is that the
disadvantage of digital volume control is that you lose 1 bit of
resolution for each 6dB of volume attenuation (I read this somewhere &
haven't reconfirmed it, so correct me if I've got the scale of the
effect slightly out... ): this does not occur if the volume adjustment
is made in the analogue domain. I usually simply set the volume control
to "bypass" to reduce the unnecessary additional circuitry in the signal
path. My Pathos amplifier has 2 "real" balanced XLR inputs with high
headroom although the maximum output of the Mytek can be adjusted
internally using "jumpers" - I believe that the same is true of the
DSD192 model - so that you can ensure that the input stage of whichever
amplifier you use will not be driven into overload by its maximum
output. Without adjustment the Mytek's balanced output is significantly
higher than that of the Transporter however, & this is why I re-engaged
the analogue volume control of the former to make the comparison.
Although I'm limited to 1dB steps, the results I report are
categorically *-not-*
a "level matching" issue: the Mytek sounds better than the Transporter
whether played louder or quieter than the latter...

Thirdly, as regards the intended sound of the Brooklyn, Michal Jurewicz
has written a paper on his design approach:
https://mytekdigital.com/download_library/Engineering_and_Design_Philosopy_of_Mytek_Brooklyn_DAC.pdf
. You may find this of particular interest if you haven't seen it
before, since it gives a lot of detail regarding the output levels of
the balanced XLR's & unbalanced RCA phono's which are common to your
DSD192 model. However, whilst he concedes that the use of the analogue
volume control very slightly compromises the measured performance
although less than the volume control of most preamps in terms of
*-audible-* effect, he is adamant that the Brooklyn is a DAC for
accurate reproduction rather than euphonic enhancement...  whether this
is so much the case with your DSD192 (which I think was Mytek's first
consumer offering, again correct me if I'm wrong there) I do not know.

I agree that ultimately the whole issue is how much your system suspends
your disbelief: my preference is to be able to close my eyes & feel as
though I am in Abbey Road Studio #3, or alternatively if the Allman
Brothers are playing down the house live in the Fillmore East at its
final concert in 1971 before it closed for ever...  Whatever rings your
bell is fine too, of course.

Incidentally, my careful review of the (admittedly excellent, if
somewhat technical... ) reference paper by Douglas Self
http://douglas-self.com/ampins/dipa/dipa.htm#5 recommended to me by your
nemesis Arnyk, reveals that *-contrary-* to Arnyk's summation Mr Self
states in section 5.3 (ibid) that "Apart from its inherent inefficiency,
Class-A is ideal, having no crossover or switchoff distortion." &
moreover that the "gm doubling distortion" that Arnyk refers to is an
artefact that surfaces when a Class A/B amplifier (such as my current
Pathos Acoustics Logos Mk.1) is driven beyond the point at which it is
capable of operating entirely in Class A mode (which for my amp is
30W/channel with a nominal 8ohm load, it then continues in Class B mode
up to a quoted 110W/channel, although Arnyk says he's seen a review that
stated it'll actually produce up to 150W/channel & that they give the
lower figure to make the alternative quotation of 220W/channel into a
nominal 4ohm load look more impressive - he's probably correct on this).
This appears to give the lie to Arnyk's assertion that Class A/B is the
best amplifier design...

Accordingly, I resumed my search for a s/hand Pathos Acoustics INPOL-2
amplifier, a very interesting patented pure 45W/channel Class A design
which manages to achieve low distortion despite using no feedback
whatsoever. And I'm pleased to report that I've got first refusal on a 2
year old one that should be available in the next few weeks - this
model, like my Logos design has been in continuous production for the
last 12 years which is unusual these days. I'll hang on to my Logos for
the time being just in case there's anything about the INPOL-2 that I
don't take to - I could always sell it on, which is of course the great
benefit of getting s/hand kit at the right price.

Hope you're having a good weekend - as you've probably noticed I myself
am less grumpy than I was when I made my previous post!

Dave :)