iPhone wrote:
> .
> It is really hard to match/beat REL Acoustic or Vandersteen subwoofers
> if one is looking for musical truth and not just noisy BOOM. The huge
> advantage Vandersteen has is if one is using separates so that the
> Vandersteen subwoofer can be acquire its signal from being installed
> between the pre-amp and amplifier. This also removes the low frequency
> duties from the system amplifier so it sounds and preforms better also.
> I prefer subwoofer pairs so that the bass from each channel is handled
> specifically by its own drive/voice coil instead of it being blended
> between a single dual voice coil. Yes true bass frequencies are not
> directional or in what one would call true stereo, but in properly
> recorded music, the actual left and right bass tracks are NOT identical
> hence I prefer to have an actual left and right subwoofer.

Hi iPhone!

Whilst some 2-channel separate pre-amps have subwoofer outputs (which
will doubtless have some low-pass filtering applied, otherwise they
would be no different from regular variable-level power amplifier
outputs, as opposed to the fixed-level outputs usually denoted as "tape
outputs" - whether anyone still uses the latter is questionable), this
does *-not-* usually imply that the signal fed to the separate power
amplifier or monoblocs will be subjected to a corresponding high-pass
filter, since not everyone uses the subwoofer outputs. Some integrated
stereo amplifiers (-e.g.- the Pathos Acoustics INPOL-2) also have stereo
line-level subwoofer outputs.

The only amplifiers which definitely will apply high-pass filtering at
the line level beyond a line subwoofer output are multi-channel home
cinema amplifiers specifically designed to be used with a 5(or 7 or
9!).1 (or 2!) loudspeaker configuration.

So I suspect that your power amplifier(s) are still handling all of the
low frequencies & delivering them to your stereo speakers (I am however
in full agreement with your preference for twin subwoofers wired up in
stereo to distribute the extreme LF soundwaves around your listening
room & thus give rise to less room resonance issues)...

Dave  :cool: