pablolie wrote:

> Subs are tricky to set up to really complement your system. Less is
> more. I don't want a cello to sound like a blue whale's mating call.

.
Which is exactly why Richard Vandersteen designed his Subs the way he
did. It is basically like adding an additional lower bass driver to any
Speaker when used in pairs because the speakers base driver no longer
goes all the way down as it is rolled off and crossed over where the Sub
takes it the rest of the way to the bottom. This is why there are no
issues or compromise like with the Line Level setting one has with
standard add on Subs. Most add-on Line Level Subs sound great when the
system is at lower volumes because the level has been set to accent and
provide additional and extended bass, but as the system volume increases
this sweet spot goes away and the Sub is overly loud and muddies up the
overall system since it is a Line Level driven device.

Just my thoughts, anyway Vandersteen basically took the advantages of an
Acoustat 2+2 Speakers with their passive sub and the advantages of an
active sub figuring out the way to use the advantages of both types
without any of the disadvantages both happen to have.

There are many brands of great Subs out there and many different ones
work great when paired with specific speakers having specific needs
that those Subs fill if one is lucky enough to get the right Sub with
the right Mains. I got tried of buying and selling Subs trying to match
things up. The Vandersteen Subs work whether one has Planar, Ribbon,
Electrostatics, or Dynamic Speakers. The pair of Vandersteen Subs I
bought to use with my Apogee Acoustic ribbon speakers are the same pair
I have with my Vandersteen 3A Signatures (the poor man's Quatro Speakers
when paired with Vandersteen Subs).
.

*iPhone*
Media Room:
ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp,
Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers:
Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video:
Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model
3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive