Golden Earring wrote:
> Hi iPhone!
>
> Whilst some 2-channel separate pre-amps have subwoofer outputs (which
> will doubtless have some low-pass filtering applied, otherwise they
> would be no different from regular variable-level power amplifier
> outputs, as opposed to the fixed-level outputs usually denoted as "tape
> outputs" - whether anyone still uses the latter is questionable), this
> does *-not-* usually imply that the signal fed to the separate power
> amplifier or monoblocs will be subjected to a corresponding high-pass
> filter, since not everyone uses the subwoofer outputs. Some integrated
> stereo amplifiers (-e.g.- the Pathos Acoustics INPOL-2) also have stereo
> line-level subwoofer outputs.
>
> The only amplifiers which definitely will apply high-pass filtering at
> the line level beyond a line subwoofer output are multi-channel home
> cinema amplifiers specifically designed to be used with a 5(or 7 or
> 9!).1 (or 2!) loudspeaker configuration.
>
> So I suspect that your power amplifier(s) are still handling all of the
> low frequencies & delivering them to your stereo speakers (I am however
> in full agreement with your preference for twin subwoofers wired up in
> stereo to distribute the extreme LF soundwaves around your listening
> room & thus give rise to less room resonance issues)...
>
> Dave  :cool:

.
Hi Dave,

Apparently you don't have Vandersteen Speakers or Subwoofers. The reason
one must have separates with Vandersteen Subwoofers or their Higher End
Speakers is because the Vandersteen WX-2 or M5-HP is used to connect the
output of the Pre-Amp to the input of the Amplifier. Vandersteen
Subwoofers and Speakers with active Subwoofers don't use any thing like
a Sub Out on a Pre-Amp or DSP which is why there is no drop out in
frequency response as they are seamlessly integrated into the main
speaker system additionally the subwoofer output is consistent with the
output level of the mains without the issues of being too loud at lower
volumes so that they are loud enough at higher speaker mains volumes
again the volume is also seamless as it is controlled by the volume of
the Pre-Amp going to the Mains!

So no Dave, the Mains nor the Amplifiers are handling ANY low
frequencies which is why it makes the Amplifiers and Main Speakers
preform better because the Vandersteen Subs have their own dedicated 300
Watt builtin amplifier and the Speakers with builtin active subs have
400 watt amplifiers.

I bought my first pair of Vandersteen Model 2 speakers from my next door
neighbor in 1978 when his wife insisted that he had to sell his
Vandersteen speakers before buying his new "Dream Speakers" so I have
been familiar with Vandersteen Speakers for a long time. I used
Vandersteen Subwoofers with Martin Logan CLS speakers and with both my
Apogee Acoustic Caliper Signatures and Duetta Signatures to give those
speakers some real bottom end as well as taking all the low bass
frequencies off of them. I currently have a pair of Vandersteen Model 3A
Signature speakers with two Vandersteen Subwoofers (sounds fantastic for
the money) and a pair of Quatro Wood CT speakers that have the builtin
powered subwoofer.
.

*iPhone*
Media Room:
ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp,
Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers:
Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video:
Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model
3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive