[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Patrick:
>
>> Heh, will do . but is that behavior of unionctl supposed to be like that? :)
>>

> Of course, no it isn't.
> And Tomas M suggested you one of the way to research the problem.
> Thank you Tomas.
>
> Additionally, there is a description about the time of remount. When you
> have lots of inodes and dentries cached, it may take a long time. It
> depends upon your operations before remount, and the amount of your
> system memory.
>
> In your case, in order to know your situation, I'd like to ask you
> questions.
> - How did you mount your aufs?

by using 'mount -w -t aufs -o dirs=/new=rw:/real_root=ro none /union' in
the init script of an initramfs .. right after pre-mount and mounting
scripts of the rootfs have been run.
> - How is /proc/mounts just before you remount or unionctl? Will you show
>   us?

Sure:

rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
none /real_root/sys sysfs rw 0 0
none /real_root/proc proc rw 0 0
udev /real_root/dev tmpfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /new tmpfs rw 0 0
/dev/sda1 /real_root ext3 ro,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/sda1 /real_root/dev/.static/dev ext3 ro,data=ordered 0 0
none / aufs rw,xino=/new/.aufs.xino,br:/new=rw:/real_root=ro 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
none /dev/.static/dev aufs
rw,xino=/new/.aufs.xino,br:/new=rw:/real_root=ro 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,nosuid,noexec 0 0

> - Have you ever read the manual of mount(8), or some documentations
>   about /etc/mtab and /proc/mounts? Since it must be fundamental
>   knowledge when you use linux or unix.

[irony]Heh, since I am a debian package maintainer, I guess I
did[/irony] .. Of course I read up on those commands. It was just
confusing me since theres not much documentation about using a stackable
filesystem with an initramfs thus especially during boot process.
Thus I asked here to get more detailed information than I could retrieve
by using google for the past few days.
> And,
> - it is recommended to use mount -o remount,... instead of unionctl.

Heh, then again I dont see any reason for shipping it within the aufs
sources. (or recommending it on SF's project page as a substution for
the equivalent tool of unionfs).
> - mount.aufs is not supposed to be executed manually. use mount(8).

yup ..
> - if you use -n option to your mount(8), you will never get the entry in
>   your mount listing by mount(8).

I know .. we had an issue on that several mails go :-)
> Junjiro Okajima

regards,
Patrick