Patrick:
> Yup .. didnt see them in the first place .. it's "aufs
> parse_opts:540:mount[2056]: lookup failed /real_root (-2)

This is one of the most important message.
The value -2 means ENOENT, and you were right. aufs could not find
/real_root. Currently, you cannot change your branch mode.

> just digged through the strace log myself .. seems as if it was
> /etc/fstab related .. now that I changed one fstab entry from "unionfs /
> unionfs 0 0" to "aufs / aufs 0 0" there's another error:
>
> mount: / not mounted already, or bad option
> failure bad /proc/mounts 1
>
> + another strace log which is again attached. I thought /etc/fstab was
> not related but /etc/mtab was? while I only adapted /etc/fstab (without
> rebooting) mount acts totally different.

Thank you for your two strace logs.
The first one shows,
- mount(8) searches /sbin/mount.unionfs and fails
- mount(2) returns EINVAL because aufs returns "lookup failed /real_root
  (-2)"

The second shows,
- mount(8) searches /sbin/mount.aufs and executes it
- /sbin/mount.aufs returns an error "failure bad /proc/mounts 1" because
  of an mis-match between /etc/mtab and /etc/fstab, probably.
  You showed me your /proc/mounts, and there were aufs entries.
        none / aufs rw,xino=/new/.aufs.xino,br:/new=rw:/real_root=ro 0 0
        none /dev/.static/dev aufs
rw,xino=/new/.aufs.xino,br:/new=rw:/real_root=ro 0 0
  Assuming your /proc/mounts is unchagned, your modification to fstab is
  wrong.
        aufs / aufs 0 0
  should be
        none / aufs 0 0
  since you mounted as 'none.'
- If you modified fstab correctly, the result "lookup failed /real_root
  (-2)" would not change since your /real_rool is hidden.

If you mount your root filesystem manually with specifying both of "dev"
and "mntpnt", the root entry in /etc/fstab is unnecessary, usually.

If you really need to remount your aufs, I will try addning new remount
options which handle the branch index instead of branch path. It may
work, but I am not sure.
You seem to be just trying aufs, and don't need the new options actually,
do you?

Junjiro Okajima