Hello,

I think we encountered a similar issue, in our case with the /var/log/*
directories (and sometimes /var/cache/man). I don't think it's a real
permission issue as we get "Operation not supported" and not "Permission
denied".

I noticed that it happens if the rw branch doesn't contain the
directory. So in our case we solved it by creating all the directories
on the rw branch, something like:

# root is nfs ro mounted on / and on /boot/root
# /var_rw is local disk or tmpfs
# /var is mounted /var_rw=rw,/var=ro

cd /boot/root/var
for d in log `find log -mindepth 1`; do