Yair Yarom:
> This is weird, assuming no_root_squash - it should work..

Agreed, and I am afraid there is one more something wrong in my test
system.

> > Anyway  ACL is a good hint actually.
> > While I cannot reproduce your problem on my side, I'd suggest you to try
> > a branch attribute "icexsys" for the writable branch such as
> > # mount -t aufs -o br:$tmp/rw=rw+icexsys:$tmp/nfs=ro aufs $tmp/union
>
> This didn't help. I still see "Operation not supported" in the aufs
> mv. This time I tried on a freshly complied 3.19.3.

How was the configuration?
If CONFIG_AUFS_XATTR is enabled, try this patch and specify 'verbose'
option when mounting aufs. It will print the xattr name. If XATTR (ACL)
causes the problem, then this patch and 'verbose' will tell us.

# mount -t aufs -o br:$tmp/rw=rw:$tmp/nfs=ro,verbose aufs $tmp/union

If CONFIG_AUFS_XATTR is disabled, then XATTR/ACL is not the problem. I'd
ask you to enable CONFIG_AUFS_DEBUG and run

# echo 1 > /sys/module/aufs/parameter/debug
mv -v $tmp/union/a/{b,c}
# echo 0 > /sys/module/aufs/parameter/debug

It will print many debug messages which we can start narrowing down the
cause.

J. R. Okajima