My opinion on this first: I'm not against his intention to clean AUR. I'm
against using some self-written scripts to mass-file requests to certain
packages just based on t
heir traits, like keywords, names, or whatever. I'm also against doing so
by hand, which is basically using yourself as a request machine.

I think most of us would agree that every request, no matter they're for
orphan, merge, or deletion, need to be thought carefully and sent with
details associated close
ly with it. And blindly filing them just adds burden to PMs as this leaves
research to be done to PMs.

The direct reason I want to post this is reading following requests:
PRQ#51267[1], PRQ#51269[2], PRQ#51270[3] and PRQ#51271[4], these affects
armcl-opencl[5], arm-linux
-gnueabihf-armcl-neon[6], aarch64-linux-gnu-armcl-opencl+neon[7] and
aarch64-linux-gnu-armcl-neon[8] accordingly.

If you take a look at the packages, you could clearly see they're for
cross-compiling on an x86_64 ArchLinux host to an ARM target. These are
just like aarch64-linux-gn
u-gcc, arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc, etc in the official repos, and they have
useful functionality like opencl and neon support.

But how did MarsSeed write his deletion requests? Each of them are simply
just the following message copy and pasted, and there're more, tens of, if
not hundreds of oth
er requests with pasted detail same as them:

> ARM-only packages belong to ArchLinuxARM.org repos, not AUR:
>
> https://archlinuxarm.org/packages
>
> https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2675
> https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=4
>
> AUR is primarily for Arch Linux, so packages here must work with the
> x86_64 architecture:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Arch_package_guidelines#Architectures

I think we could say these requests are clearly filed by some automated
process that's triggered on any package with arm or aarch64 keywords. But
the process catches wr
ong targets and these requests would result in either wrongly deleted
packages or increased labor for PMs to read the PKGBUILDs by themselves
before rejecting them.

This is not right. This, an automated request filing process, should not be
the way a user files their package requests. If an automated process just
catches all packag
es with some traits and filing requests is acceptable, then why is a user
needed in the process at all? The user account is just like an API key for
a bot program in that case. And if doing so is acceptable, why not just
give the script or whatever tech behind the automated process to PMs so
they can even save the time needed to check
requests list?

Still, I appreciate the amount of time MarsSeed put previously on clearing
the AUR. I think there might be ~10k requests filed by him ever since he
joined AUR (based on
a simple search of 'MarsSeed [1]' in the aur-requests mailing list), and
I'd like to see him continuing on his work, but not in such robotic way.