So what did you think of the aircraft?

The Akaflieg Munich came up with a completely mechanical automatic flap system which combined airspeed and g load about 30 years ago. Didn't go anywhere I was told because GERMAN glider pilots NEVER fly in the wrong flap setting :-). I think the Duckhawk electric flap is the way to go. The Akaflieg guys I talked to said their "automatic" was especially good in thermals.

The problem with the current technology varios is that they respond to horizontal gusts. This puts a lot of noise on the real vertical air motion change signals which is what drives the optimum speed to fly and will make the ride terrible and the actual following of optimum speed to fly questionably good. Human pilots do this by mentally filtering signals all the time. Which, when combined with flying the aircraft, leaves a lot less mental energy and time for observation and decision making. Try doing mental arithmetic when flying an aircraft. It is at least twice as difficult as when on the ground doing nothing else. (I assume people still DO mental arithmetic? :-) )

I'm looking forward to seeing how the Dynamis vario signal, which ignores horizontal gusts, when integrated into the speed to fly, improves the ability to dolphin soar/fly MacCready. The signals should be much quieter and lots smoother while responding a lot quicker the vertical air changes. Might make this actually reasonably doable in modern gliders even without an automatic MacCready and flap.

We have the first flight software version that does this. Just needs testing.

The problem is that as gliders got better the horizontal gust problem (deflection of vario caused by a given bit of air flown through) gets worse as the SQUARE of the True Air Speed. A gust that isn't a problem in a Slingsby Sky cruising at probably a maximum of 55 knots between thermals becomes really significant at 110 knots. The significance of my example is that Philip Wills won the WGC in Spain in 1952 in a Slingsby Sky and Total Energy was the "secret weapon". I believe the probe was designed by Frank Irving. The gust problem is mentioned in the 1969 Soaring Symposium proceedings with the note that "current technology is unable to deal with them".

Dynamis does and I think will be as significant for modern gliders as the invention of the Total Energy concept itself. Varios connected to just a static source don't respond to horizontal gusts but suffer from inadvertent pilot inputs causing lift and sink signals which don't reflect changes in the air, so it is possible that Dynamis will be as significant as the variometer itself, as for the first time just changes in the vertical motion of the air being flown through are shown.

Matthew, I was going to mention using computer vision to look at the clouds ahead to follow the development of the clouds ahead. Ought to be possible. Even just a time lapse photo sequence with correct scaling as the distance decreases.

I'm still interested in the overhead view from Himawari 8. I've used it while flying cross country in the BD-4. If your track and present position could be superimposed on it, it could be very useful under some circumstances, particularly on long distance flights.

Glider drag reduction seems to have reached a plateau without powered boundary layer suction devices. That latter is where some IGC decisions need to be made, not autopilots and AI and other information/information processing things.

Given a lack of aerodynamic progress, instrumentation, autopilots and information processing will be where improvement is possible.

Mike