On Jun 6, 2017, at 5:21 PM, Mike Borgelt <mborg...@borgeltinstruments.com>
wrote:

> I'll stand behind what I write and the vast majority here use their real
> names. It is plain rude and impolite not to do so here in a group which is of
> very limited interest to the wider world and which deals with a very narrow
> range of subject matter which 9999 out of 10,000 Australians don't care
> about. If you want "polite", make people stand behind what they write.

People can stand behind what they write without using their names.

What does a name give you that any other persistent label doesn’t?

> There is a BD-4 homebuilt aircraft group (recently resurrected) where I
> haven't run across any anonymous posters.

Sure, but there’s also an RV forum where everyone makes up their own names.
Potential for respectful engagement seems independent of whether a
correspondent’s identifier matches what’s on their ASIC.

> There are other internet fora where anonymity is a good idea ( take a look at
> the "robust" discussions at www.catallaxy <http://www.catallaxy/> files.com
> a politics/economics blog run by Judith Sloan, Sinclair Davidson and others)
> but I can't think of any reason for that here.

It isn’t just what you think, though.

People can have reasons for obscuring their names that are meaningless to you
but meaningful to them. Especially on publicly archived open internet groups.

What difference does it make to you if you’re ascribing an opinion to DMcD or
Joe Bloggs from Katoomba?

(And what value is there in dismissing someone as an anonymous troll when they
post something that suggests using a handle from a ski stock because it's more
fit for purpose than a wheelbarrow handle? The battles are so fierce because
the stakes are so small…)

  - mark