On the flip side I am (very proudly) associated with the airforce
aircadets in Adelaide.  My role is that of auxiliary instructor.  The
Adelaide flights of the RAAF ATC are overflowing with young,
enthusiastic, talented and very aviation minded young people.  The
RAAF ATC Gliding Club based at Gawler has six or seven young boys
and girls learning to fly gliders.

It is a similar story with the Australian Airforce Cadets (AAFC) here in NSW. Here there are eight, one week courses a year with between 12-25 Cadets on each of varying levels, and also the oppertunity to attend the Interservice comp at Leeton. That adds up to alot of people between the ages of 12.5 and 20 being exposed to gliding each year. I think one of the main reasons most do not belong to another clubs is the cost and transport factors (which Jason outlined very well for the Syndey, senario). In NSW for AAFC Cadets it is $380 for a 10 flight course, that includes travel, accomodation and very good food.

As far as getting more youth into gliding, I belive those interested in a flying career or who want to start powered flying are a good target. The fact the the solo age is a year younger for gliding than it is for powered flying is a good selling point for those in thier early teens who aprise to fly. I know its probly the only reason I started gliding, but certainly not why I have kept at it. I certainly do belive that if more people younger people really knew what gliding is like and what it actually is, membership would increase. I know everyone of the Cadets I flew with during the previous two weeks at Bathurst, were interested, eager and enjoyed themselves and most money permitting said they would be back. As far as youunger members of the club discontinuing flying or not starting it in the first place due to the environment of the older member, I honestly cant comment as it has never been an issue for me and I started when I was 14 and am now 18.

From T. Cubley
To my surprise, the main ATC clubs use aerotow or self launching, none use winch - surely this must be a >problem in light of the comments below about youth flying in the UK?

I think the main reason most AAFC clubs use aerotow is due to accomodation issues. Iam fairly certain the the CFI or 327flt (the NSW, AAFC gliding club) would rather use winch, however the accomodation and facilities we use are at Raglan Airfield at Bathurst and thus cant use winch there.

Just like to say though I think it is great that people are trying to get this Junior soaring movement going. However it seems most who have been posting are in Queensland, which would make is very difficult for those interstate to attend weekends or social nights and am curious if anyone was considering doing the same thing in NSW?

Tom Mountford

Hotmail is now available on Australian mobile phones. Go to http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilecentral/signup.asp

-- * You are subscribed to the aus-soaring mailing list. * To Unsubscribe: send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] * with "unsubscribe aus-soaring" in the body of the message * or with "help" in the body of the message for more information.