From: Dave Boulter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [aus-soaring] Fwd: Winners - 3rd FAI World Junior Gliding Championship
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 11:50:22 +1000

Hi Tom,

Lets talk off line about a possible way to get SCGC younger members together. I have an idea.

Sure thing Dave, I'll be there at the presentation night Saturday.

I'd just like to reaffirm what was said earlier that nobody is suggesting that the older members of the gliding fraternity are "disposable." We recognise they are the most experienced and are a wealth of knowledge, and are the ones who have trained us. I think what is being suggested is merely an atmosphere at clubs which encourages youth and those not so young into gliding and able to co-exist without an us and them mentality. As long as those who are young do not become arrogant and think that "old people" dont know anything, or Older pilots dont belive that anyone under 26 is reckless and will only give up gliding so whats the point in helping them, I dont see why this isnt possible.

As far as the comments made about not helping with the AAFC (I'll just point out now the "ATC" ceased to exist many years ago and up until recently it was the AirTC, however since 2001 with the introduction of findings made in the Topley report, it had become known as the Australian Airforce Cadets), I belive that to just be from someones bad experience. Do the instructors on these courses work hard and long days? Yes. With between 12-27 Cadets on a course of 7 flying days each doing around about 10 flights, with 2 - 4 two seaters and anywhere from 3-7 instructors, and nightly lectures it is busy. And even though I've only been there in an instructing role for a very short period of time, I find it enjoyable and highly rewarding, and Iam still willing to give up my uni holidays to go to Bathurst for a week or two. As for very few of them actually joining another club, well Iam not sure what our numbers are. Here in NSW the majority who fly with another club, I belive do so with RAAF Richmond GC. I know Southern Cross currently has 2-3 current cadets, and one or two ex-cadets. Many of the others simply cannot afford to join a regular club at that stage of thier lives, but in a few years how many clubs are going to have members who did gliding as a cadet and want to get back into it (I belive this to be a key point as if you get them hooked young I belive to be likely they will come back to it later)? Also many ex-cadets join the military which due to training and locations they are deployed can limit when they can get back into gliding. I know many ex-cadets of AAFC gliding have gone into the RAAF as pilots (with any luck after uni i'll be one of them!). Back to the actual courses although they are there primarly to learn to fly it is still an Official AAFC activity, and as such subject to the rules and dicipline standards of the AAFC. I find it odd that you would have trouble with lovers quarrels as the rules are very strict and usually the result of discovering such an event leads to a bus ticket home straight away for both parties. The AAFC staff one these courses are the ones responsible for maintaining and policing these standards. Also with the ages of 12.5-20 on these courses as well as learning to fly, the students gain personal development in terms of leadership qualities etc, I know I did. Also AAFC courses do not end at first solo, alot if not most come back to progress through the badges and there has been numerous Silver C's and I think even a few Gold C's acheived by Cadets in NSW, aswell as two being trained as Instructors whilst still a cadet. So basically although I recognise the advice given was the resullt of personal experience I belive it to be a wrong impression., however given the amount I have gained from the AAFC gliding opperations here in NSW mine is definatley a biased oppinion.

Tom

Hotmail is now available on Australian mobile phones. Go to http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilecentral/signup.asp

-- * You are subscribed to the aus-soaring mailing list. * To Unsubscribe: send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] * with "unsubscribe aus-soaring" in the body of the message * or with "help" in the body of the message for more information.