Adam

This "separation of the generations" is part of the problem.

You younger guys and gals want to be a part of the total gliding movement.
Us not-quite-OFITTH membership secretaries (well, 35 for me !) want to be
able to meet your needs in our clubs as best we can.  We know that attracting
younger blood to the club is the key to our future, and the key to ensuring
that when you're old enough to be in our shoes, there still IS a future for
gliding in Australia for you to be a part of.

Except for the very infrequent posting on this list from people like you, we
rarely hear much.

As I've said before, I'd really LOVE to know what I can do, or encourage my
club committee to do, to increase the size of our junior ranks.  I really
doubt whether we will hear much feedback from the RTOs or National Coaches
(as the only "oldies" allowed on your Yahoo! group) to give our clubs many
clues about what we can do to lift our game, though of course I would like to
be proven wrong !  Thus my interest in being a "lurker" on your e-mail list,
so I can find out first hand.

My club (Southern Cross in Sydney) is prepared to offer up to 4 scholarships
each year to juniors, which gives them free club membership and free glider
hire for a year (just aerotows and GFA to pay for themselves) - so far we
have just one recipient.  Maybe the junior focussed training organisations
don't know about this ?

I've found the youth-oriented gliding groups also tend to like to keep their
young members to themselves.

What I mean is that, for example the Scouts fly with the Scout Air Activities
gliding wing only, even if it is in one old Blanik, and they do so fairly
infrequently despite what I'd assume were still a fairly healthy number of
scouts in the Sydney / Illawarra region that should be able to keep them busy
every weekend of the year (do they take care of the Girl Guides too ?).  Our
Club with a larger and for the most part more modern two seater fleet
(including a brand spanking new DG-1000), would love to be able to help give
a great gliding experience to the Scouts and Guides too (even just to help
shorten their waiting queue on days when they're busy and we're a bit quiet),
but it seems we can't because there are some sort of rules and regulations of
Scouting, such that instructors on these flights must also be afiliated with
the Scout Association somehow.

I know I need to find out more about this situation before I can claim any
more-than-superficial understanding of the issues involved, something I will
do the next time I see them flying.

In the case of the AirTC (or whatever their new name is that Tom mentioned),
they go away to Bathurst a couple of times a year, but then between camps I'm
not sure that so many keep on flying (maybe being an "outsider" I'm
wrong ?).  There seems to be very little encouragement for these juniors to
seek out their local club and fly with them in-between the scheduled courses.

The idea that AirTC/Air League/etc members from the Sydney South-West area
have to travel all the way to Bathurst to do a course seems crazy when Camden
is less than half an hour down the road and we fly 5 days a week (and are
looking to extend it to 7 days) and could perhaps fulfil some of their
needs.  But I'm not sure if there's anything we can do to "break in" to this
market segment (as it were in business-speak), even though we could perhaps
increase their capacity to offer gliding to their members (there must be some
level of over-subscription to each of their regular courses).

Apart from the two juniors that are actually members of our club and the
cadets (acquired over a 3 year period, which is not what I consider
successful youth recruiting), I don't get ANY real inquiries from others
about the possibilities we could offer.  It all seems strange to me !

I'm not sure whether these groups even mention our "older" clubs as
alternatives that the juniors could fly at - one would hope so but the lack
of inquiries would tend to suggest otherwise.

I would love to enter into any dialogue with these groups which would help us
to address the needs of the budding younger glider pilots that are out there
somewhere.

Slightly confused and bemused

Jason Armistead
Membership Secretary