Mike

I think you misunderstood Bob's reply - what he actually said was that the educational material did not mention CTAFs and MBZs because there were no changes in that area. He is correct, though I question the proposed "US CTAF" without proper education to help pilots make the right choice of frequency to listen out on AND TALK IF IT HELPS RESOLVE POTENTIAL CONFLICT.

My main problem - apart from the fact that what we are getting is NOT the US NAS - is the lateness of the training material which Qantas signed up to the system on the basis that all training material was to be available with a 3 month lead time, and which Government requirements were for all material to be in the hands of pilots 1 month before implementation date.

Given that this must be implemented on an international AIRAC date, publication of a 4-week delay from November 27 (Merry Christmas!!) would not be unreasonable and would allow for proper educational timescales. For me to get the GFA material the day after the CASA material, and the AUF material the day after that, reflects well on these other organisations. In terms of safety outcomes the Australian system sh**s on the US system and I would be interested to compare accident rates of SSA and USUA members versus non-members if such data were available.

The rules as presently expressed are not suitable for aircraft without generating capacity. Loss of radio and other electrically -powered equipment is a far greater safety hazard than absence of a transponder, though it might be "nice-to-have" a transponder for some situations. Having re-read the NASIG printed material tonight, the simple rule of "if you have a transponder you must use it all the time" can lead to less-than-safe situations in gliders or balloons, or vintage aeroplanes with no generator but a battery-operated radio. If flexibility is really the key to it all working, how about he flexibility to use radio and/or primary radar instead of SSR to achieve the desired level of safety? Incidentally, since gliders in the US do not need transponders within 40 NM of a Class D tower, why should we?

If you disagree with this then we must agree to disagree.

Incidentally, when did you last fly a glider?

Cheers

Mike Cleaver

At 21:05 20-11-03 +1000, you wrote:
At 12:01 AM 20/11/03 +1100, you wrote:

>Of all the material that has been published so far, the GFA/HGFA material
>in the covering letter from Bob Hall that points the relevant aspects
>relating to gliding is by far the best-targeted with genuine practical
>advice as to how to be a responsible airspace user in the new system to
>take effect next week.

Amazing as it must have been done in only a couple of days. This time last
week there was no intention to do anything.

>The only update I have is that I have now been told that the Head Air
>Traffic controller at Airservices has now signed off on the instument that
>reverts the Class E airspace surrounding Albury (within the 40NM area) in
>those areas where the base is 8500 ft - i.e. NOT the steps to the
>north-east and south-west where the base of Class E is 6500 or 4500 - back
>to Class G airspace between 8500 and 10,000, day only.  This is due to
>approaches made to the NAS liaison team in Melbourne by glider pilots
>seeking relief from am unrealistic requirement.

Oh how bloody great! You realise this opens up a whole can of worms with
one group claiming a special exemption. By installing transponders these
guys could have gone to FL180 without creating a precedent for other
special interest groups to use. This has been the downfall of all previous
attempts to reform Australian aviation - groups claiming special
needs/wants/privileges.

>Congratulations to Bob and to Naomi from Airservices for getting this in
>place for this year's soaring season.

I think we will regret this.

Congratulations to Bob for finally doing the right thing after a kick in
the head woke him up? What else should the GFA be doing but aren't because
the whole mob are asleep at the switch?

Mike
Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784
          Int'l + 61 429 355784