Further to my previous - the SAA report states that the ELT was picked up by an Air Force satellite and they were able to confirm it was one registered to Peter Masak. They were able to pinpoint its position to within a couple of miles.

This information tells me it was one of the newer 406 MHz beacons - the ones which will be the only ones of any real use after early 2009, and will be mandated for new fitments after June 2008. They work on a frequency detected by geostationary satellites, so almost immediate detection, and broadcast an identification code which, if registered by the owner, tell rescue services who owns the beacon. They may also broadcast a GPS position if fitted with a GPS engine.

I still cannot tell whether it was activated manually before the landing, or automatically on impact.

The good news for us is that there is now a 406 MHz ELT available for around $600 - and I believe they are Australian-made. Check the web site Stuart Ferguson pointed us to for technical info - and stand by for avionics input from Nigel Andrews, who I am sure will have useful information for us.

Wombat

In reading the report on the crash at the USA nationals, I noted that
the crash was found using an ELT. Given the nature of the crash, with
the pilot probably killed on impact, this sort of beacon must be
automatic and so very different from the EPRB beacons that many of us
carry.

Are ELTs available in Australia - and what are the various merits of the
two different systems.

Most light aeroplanes have an airframe-mounted, impact-activated ELT - which was rather controversial when it was introduced about 5 years ago. The biggest problem is that they either work when not commanded (hence the recommendation to listen out on 121.5 before shutting down at the end of a flight, to check the "arrival" did not set your ELT off :-)) or else they fail to activate in a real crash situation.

The other disadvantage is a considerably greater cost than the portable "personal" ELTs most of us carry. Given recent advances in technology, and the demise of 121.5/243.0 ELTs in about 5 years time, the good news is that the 406 MHz ELTs are coming down in price and will be an affordable replacement for our current beacons when they run out of service life after the next 5-yearly battery replacement that is recommended. REMINDER: if you bought an ELT about 5 years ago it is time to replace the battery!!

In this case it is most likely that the pilot realised his chances of being picked up - in whatever conditions he might be in - would be increased by activating the ELT before going into the trees (or whatever unfriendly terrain he was over). If he landed safely and did not require rescue, he could always turn it off again later! Unfortunately, he seems not to have been in that situation.

Wombat