Mike Borgelt wrote:

> Nobody answered about portable mobile phone base stations. Cath Conway? Any
> technical reason why not? I can imagine rescue situations where this would
> be very useful.

I am no expert on this, but at the time of the 5 ring circus in Sydney they
(Telstra) had a couple of mobile set-ups on trailers that provided additional
base station capacity in the circus precincts. I saw one, which was about the
size of a car trailer, antenna set up folded on top, an equipment box about 2m^3
and a separate generator.  I can't see that being flown into a search area in
anything less than a C-130, a DHC-4 at a pinch, perhaps.