At 01:26 PM 2/06/04 +1000, you wrote:
>Mike -correct or other interesting twists - for example;
>
>Recently a crew of a boat in northern Australia were turned over by
>one of those rouge waves we hear about. The crew evacuated taking their
>EPIRB with them and tying it to the now inverted hull of their boat.
>
>Problem - the boat sank, taking their EPIRB with it.
>
>Fortunately they had had the distress beacon on long enough for SAR action
>to be underway, and they were saved. Some of you may even remember the
>incident, the media reported they were saved by their esky lid.
>
>SDF

That sounds like a good argument for personal beacons. A good handheld
radio too.

Nobody answered about portable mobile phone base stations. Cath Conway? Any
technical reason why not? I can imagine rescue situations where this would
be very useful.

Mike
Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784
          Int'l + 61 429 355784