Nick

As a mobile DJ for 12 years BC (Before Children !), I remember all too well
the song "Pump Up The Volume" by MARRs which hit the dance floors way back in
1987.

It consisted almost totally of samples cleverly joined together, but after
becoming a night club hit, the lawyers for all the artists they'd sampled got
involved and the group disappeared from the charts forever.

Even today, there are big dollars exchanged before artists use samples from
other tunes, and most of those are a few seconds long.

For a bit more perspective on the issue, see the following web site:

http://www.informationblast.com/Sampling_(music).html

I do not profess a knowledge of the present Australian laws relating to
copyright, but APRA, the Australasian Performing Rights Association, do not
seem to agree with Lisa Turner on this.

To quote from http://www.apra.com.au/licence/recfaqs.htm:

"Sampling a small section of another recording is subject to the approval of
the publisher who owns the copyright in the song and the record company that
owns the copyright in the sound recording that has been copied. It is usually
advisable to provide the publisher and record company with a demonstration
tape of your intended usage with a clear explanation of how the sample is
used to assist them in making their decision. The publisher and record
company will advise whether your intended use of the sample may go ahead and
the relevant conditions and licence fees. "

If we are going to promote gliding, then not only does the flying on the
video need to be lawful, but the use of the background music also.  Otherwise
the "GFA Millions" might be eroded by a single lawsuit claiming breach of
copyright.

Cheers

Jason Armistead

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 15:09:07 +1000, Nick Gilbert wrote