Common sense did someone say?

At Bunyan (Canberra GC) we do a fair bit of wave flying. We have oxy in most
of our gliders - club and private - and using it is as second nature as
having a shower in the morning. We have some very knowledgeable people in
the club (not only public service regulators!), including a medical
practitioner who flies in the wave, a now retired FA18 pilot with 30+ years
of flying fast jets, a guy who holds the Aust altitude record for gliders,
many pilots who've had literally dozens of flights above FL200, and some
guys who get a couple of diamond heights every year as a matter of course
just for the fun of it. Many of our guys have been in the hyperbaric
chambers and know full well what can happen when hypoxia sneaks up.

We regularly talk about the theory and practice of it all, and do it.

For mine, when these guys talk with considerable knowledge of the risks
inherent in high altitude flight, and the demonstrable benefit in terms of
reactions, brainwork, and eyesight in being on oxygen anywhere above 8,000'
why the hell would you WANT to fly without oxygen? It's all about risk
management, and I see no point in bucking the odds. As our ex military man
soberingly says, he's been to too many funerals of his mates and doesn't
need to go to any more!

I spent a couple of hours last Saturday between FL140 and Fl160 and don't
begrudge one cent of the cost of the oxygen topup at the end of the flight.
I want to be around for my grandkids (two of whom have already been up) to
take me for a fly one day.

So debate away to your hearts content about the regs in US vs Aus,
parachuting vs gliding, variation between indiduals, the legal situation,
and a whole host of other things. I'll take the oxygen every time thank you.

Allan Armistead
ph (02) 6249 6470, fax (02) 6249 6555, mobile 0413 013 911
PO Box 908, Dickson ACT 2602, Australia

"When once you have tasted flight, you will always walk with your eyes
turned skyward, for there you have been and there you always will be."
Leonardo da Vinci, 1452-1519