At 08:02 AM 27/08/04 +0930, you wrote:

>> A moment's thought should convince anyone that the AC interpretation is
>> nonsense. Why would anyone have oxygen available and not use it?
>
>Because they didn't have enough for the whole time they would be above
>10,000?

No, the law was clearly written to allow an up to 30 minute  "pop up" above
10000 feet without oxygen equipment in the aircraft but not above 13000.
Just like the equivalent in the US where the numbers are 12500 and 14000.
Just like the modification to the "you must be on oxygen above 10000 feet"
allowed for our parachute ops.(I'll bet those oxygen cylinders for the
pilots in parachute ops between Fl 120 and Fl 140 have *amazing* capacity
and just seem to last *forever* - which might explain the silly grin on the
face of the pilot at Toogoolawah. That, or he couldn't believe his luck to
be flying a Caravan)

I seriously doubt the writers envisaged spending that 30 minutes in that
band, not using oxygen and then departing it out the top on oxygen. For the
various reasons given in the web references about oxygen use this is a
particularly bad idea.

I repeat:

What all this does show is the futility of trying to write hard rules for
all circumstances. What rules are written should be minimal and very
carefully written so as to minimise the possibility of misinterpretation.

Mike
Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784
          Int'l + 61 429 355784