At 11:55 PM 26/08/04 +1000, you wrote:
>         Mike, while the New Zealand Civil Aviation Rule 91.209 Use of
Oxygen Equipment doesnt require the carriage or use of supplemental
oxygen up to 13,000 AMSL unless above 10,000 for more than 30 minutes,
the Gliding New Zealand Advisory circular
(http://www.gliding.co.nz/Operations/MOAP/Ops/ACs/Carriage%20and%20Use%20of%
20Oxygen.doc) states that operation of a glider above 10,000 is only
permitted if supplemental oxygen is available.

Which just goes to show the gliding person writing that AC misinterpreted
the law too.
Perhaps there is something wrong with English teaching in the schools?

A moment's thought should convince anyone that the AC interpretation is
nonsense. Why would anyone have oxygen available and not use it?

Why would anyone write a law like that? You would require the expense and
trouble of fitting oxygen equipment all ready to go and then not require
its use in circumstances where it is likely to be beneficial?

What all this does show is the futility of trying to write hard rules for
all circumstances. What rules are written should be minimal and very
carefully written so as to minimise the possibility of misinterpretation.

Of course oxygen use at high altitude is a good idea and if you are
thinking hard as in flying gliders cross country or in competition and
particularly if you are going to be doing that again tomorrow and the next
day and the next, use of oxygen is likely to be beneficial if you spend
much time above 5000 feet.

We have a vast resource in the internet, people should be encouraged to use
it to inform themselves on oxygen use and other aspects of aviation.

Now consider this: It is one the few days of the year at your gliding site
when a Gold C height is possible. We have a launch means and a spare glider
but it isn't fitted with oxygen and a talented young 18 year old glider
pilot in obvious excellent physical condition who has done her 300Km and
500Km flights and only needs this climb to complete her Gold C with 2
diamonds. Do we really want to tell this person she cannot briefly go above
10000 feet or if she does anyway it won't count?

A couple of months ago I went to the birthday celebration for a
professional gliding instructor. During the evening in the course of
conversation he said "why would any young person go gliding only to be
under the thumb of some CFI? There are plenty of other adventurous things
they could do."

In a dying, shrinking sport the last thing we need is mindless regulation
and enthusiastic jack booted amateurs eagerly enforcing "the law" or doing
so for the sake of "safety" or an illusory "insurance" policy. While I
generally don't want to see people leave gliding, in their case I'll ask
them to mind their own business or leave.

Those of us with long memories remember a time when gliding in this country
wasn't so bureacratic and authoritarian. As powered flight has become more
liberal in this country, gliding has gone the other way. Recreational
powered flight is going great, gliding is going backwards. When are the
rocket scientists running gliding going to make the connection?

Mike

Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784
          Int'l + 61 429 355784