Mike Borgelt wrote:

The rules are that aircraft without generating systems(gliders and some
others) can fly in Class E without transponders except in Class E within
40nm of Class D towers.

And that is exactly how I have understood the rules to be also. I have used Class E on several ocassions.

Does anyone know how a radar system reacts to a thermaling glider that is transponder equipped?

A couple of decades ago, I was one of a group touring through Adelaide ATC one evening. Out north of Adelaide an RAAF Macchi was doing loops in the dark and the radar system of the day had the equivalent of the Blue Screen of Death. ATC was a bit embarrassed and hurried us out.

Imagine a radar system with forty gliders thermalling if the system can't understand what is happening.

--
Leigh Bunting
Colonel Light Gardens