Ddonald wrote:
I had a close call in a thermal recently with another glider and the other pilot was really aggressive in his entry. We nearly touched. I don’t even know if he saw me. I know it’s not an accident but is it an incident? I know that we fly close a lot, but this was close!! The other pilot is a good bloke and a respected comps pilot but other pilots have said they have had similar experiences. I can’t see a way from the GFA web-site about what to do and I’m worried about dropping him in to the CFI (he’s been around for a while and I’m only starting and want to stay for a long time!!). But what happens then? If it was a prang, I’d hear about it at a seminar a while later (or the wrong version of events over a beer at the club!!), but that doesn’t help me when I going flying again and the other pilot is around!! I don’t feel qualified to talk to the other pilot myself, but what happened was wrong I reckon. What do I do

If there was a breakdown of separation it's an incident.

Put as much detail as you can into an incident report (obtainable from
the GFA website, or ask your CFI).

Don't be worried about "dobbing him in" to a CFI.  Incidents and
accidents *must* be reported and followed-up (otherwise Mike Borgelt
will be right and we can't have that, can we? :-).  The other pilot
ought to be mature enough to be able to react dispassionately to
an incident report, and even if he isnt' that mature a lookout problem
must be brought to his attention and dealt with in the interests of
safety.

Google for "The Reason Model" to see the reasons for having a strong
reporting culture.  Without that first step the whole system falls apart
(which is what Mike was getting at a couple of months ago).

  - mark